Local walks organised by Tottenham Civic Society
Two walks ‘A history walk through Downhills Park – 24th May’ and ‘North Tottenham conservation area and the proposed Spurs development – 31st May’
A history walk through Downhills Park
11.30am Sunday 24 May 2009
Walk leaders: Christopher Currie and other Friends of Downhills Park
Downhills Park was opened by Tottenham Borough Council in 1903 in the grounds of an 18th-century country house demolished a few years earlier. The park still contains historic features such as the oak wood, a possible croquet lawn, the cedar lawn, the Italian Gardens, the hornbeam avenue and the balustrade, as well as remains of council amenities such as a bandstand, cricket pavilion and bowling green. The Friends group was the first in Tottenham, set up in 1999, and inspired the formation of other such groups across the borough. Recent improvements include a wildflower meadow and additional tree plantings, and plans include restoring the pond.
Meet at Philip Lane gate of Downhills Park (junction of West Green Road and Philip Lane). Buses 41 or 230 from Turnpike Lane tube, 41 from Seven Sisters tube (West Green Road).
North Tottenham conservation area and the proposed Spurs development
11am Sunday 31st May
Walk leaders: Matthew Bradby and Stuart Chapman
North Tottenham was the second conservation area to be designated in Haringey after Highgate Village. Both share a wealth of imposing Georgian buildings. However North Tottenham now faces the proposed redevelopment of Tottenham Hotspur’s football stadium. This may result in the permanent loss of the nationally listed Warmington House and Fletcher House, elegant townhouses dating from the reign of George IV, as well as numerous locally listed buildings. This tour will include other listed buildings such as Dial House, dating from 1691, and 810/812 High Road, an early Georgian merchant’s house of around 1715 that was derelict for many years: now being restored, it shows the huge potential of heritage buildings to spur regeneration of the High Road. Optional visit to Coach and Horses pub afterwards.
Meet outside Council Planning Office, 639 High Road (junction with Lordship Lane), N17. Bus 243 from Wood Green tube, numerous buses along the High Road from Seven Sisters tube.