TOWER GARDENS ESTATE
When Lordship Recreation Ground was created in the 1930s, the residents of the Tower Gardens Estate (around 1500 homes) would have been the main regular users from the immediate neighbouring area. Broadwater Farm Estate (1086 homes) was built in 1973. Both are Council estates, although ‘right to buy’ schemes have resulted in a demographic swing on the Tower Gardens Estate towards maybe a 40% leaseholdership (some of which are now occupied by private tenants).
Most of the Tower Gardens Estate is now a Conservation Area. There is a long and lively history of residents’ social activities and organisations, including a residents association.