On Saturday September 20th there was a lovely village atmosphere as crowds turned out to enjoy and join in a range of exciting, enthralling, informative, lively, fun and empowering community activities in various parts of the Rec. This year’s event – on World Parks Day 2014! – was once again organised by and for local people. It showcased the wonderful talent in Tottenham, and the efforts and determination of so many groups to promote community spirit, initiative and empowerment.
– One World Folk Music at the outdoor Shell Theatre stage & in the Hub: Music and performances from all different cultures, coordinated by the Shell Performing Arts Collective. There was also a procession led by the Stow Caledonian Pipe Band.
– Tottenham Flower & Produce Show: Lots of impressive and artistic entries (local fruit and veg, plants, crafts etc), and many prizes handed out. Coordinated by Back2Earth and members of the Friends of Lordship Rec
– Dogs Day Out: In the main field there was a Fun Dog Show and Dog Agility Course, plus free micro-chipping, tag engraving and info for dog owners. Coordinated by Battersea Dogs and Cats Home, Wood Green Animal Shelter and members of the soon-to-be re-launched Lordship Dog Club.
– Sports Sessions in the main field, including boxing. Organised by Haringey Council’s Leisure Services.
– Free gym induction, in the Broadwater Farm Community Centre
– Harmony Gardens: Informative tours of the community food-growing garden, organised by Back2Earth’s Head Gardener
– Open House information about the environmental excellence of the new Eco-Hub building. Organised by the Hub designers, Ann Thorne Architects..
– Special Guest Cafe(s) at the Eco-Hub: Delicious fresh meals jointly laid on by Back 2 Earth and Simba Organics
– Community stalls: A magnificent spread of info/crafts/products/fundraising/food stalls from local community groups, campaigns and traders
– Ad hoc wheels fun on the Loop track and in the freestyle area
– Consultation with young people about the Adventure Playground, organised by Haringey Play Association
… and more!
What a great way to celebrate World Parks Day 2014!